Traffic Control Supervisor
This class covers the supervisory skills, duties and
responsibilities necessary to successfully control traffic. The class
deals with legal issues such as liabilities, emergencies, documentation,
governing documents (i.e., MUTCD, specifically part IV; 2004 Std Specs.)
contracts and WSDOT or ODOT guidelines, depending on the State. Also
- Different devices
- Location and layout requirements
- The public
- Planning and preparation for controlling traffic
- Operating and maintaining traffic control zones
The requirements listed below must be met before a Traffic Control Supervisor Certification card can be issued:
1. A current, state-approved flagging card from Idaho, Montana, Oregon, or Washington.
2. Two signed letters* (or one letter with two signatures) verifying 2,000 hours of work in traffic control-related tasks. The hours can be achieved over multiple years.
3. Individuals must complete TCS
training and pass the exam with a score of 80% or better.
Letters can be submitted by any of the following who can verify the knowledge and experience of the TCS candidate:
- Employers (past and/or present)
- DOT inspectors
- Other traffic control supervisors
These letters should include:
- Brief history of individual's working experience.
Experience may include work in the following areas:
- Experience as a construction inspector, including inspection of traffic control
- Traffic control work on a survey crew
- Designing or reviewing traffic control plans
- Other specific traffic control experience (setup and take-down).
- Some flagging experience
- Project(s) they have worked on
- Approximate number of cumulative hours worked as a flagger/work zone worker.
- Must be typed and on letterhead (if letterhead is not available, a company business card should accompany the letter)
- Must provide contact information for the signatories
* Note: Any of the letters provided may be submitted to the state upon request.
Submit required paperwork to:
Northwest Laborers-Employers Training Trust
27055 Ohio Avenue NE
Kingston, WA 98346
Be aware that the Northwest Laborers-Employers Training Trust cannot issue your TCS card or certificate until we have received all required information as outlined above.